

MINUTES OF MEETING  
REMINGTON  
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Remington Community Development District was held on Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. at the Remington Recreation Center, 2651 Remington Boulevard, Kissimmee, Florida.

Present and constituting a quorum were:

Brian (Ken) Brown	Chairman
Kenneth Soukup	Vice Chair
Carl Thilburg	Assistant Secretary
Barbara Kirk	Assistant Secretary
Tim Mehrlich	Assistant Secretary

Also presen weret:

Jason Showe	District Manager
Cameron Hindle	District Engineer
Alan Scheerer	Field Manager
Patrick Solnay	Universal Protection Service
Residents	

**FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Roll Call**

Mr. Brown called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. and Mr. Showe called the roll. All Supervisors were present.

**SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Modifications to Agenda**

Mr. Showe: We have no modifications.

**THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Security Report from Universal Protection Service**

Mr. Solnay: Last month, at the Partin Settlement Road gate we had 2,416 visitors and 6,674 residents, for a total of 9,090. At the E. Lakeshore Boulevard gate we had 1,011 visitors and 5,361 residents, for a total of 4,577. We tagged 175 vehicles, had 3 tows, 6 attempted tows and 5 repeat offenders.

Mr. Scheerer: He always texts me when there is a problem.

Mr. Solnay: What I wanted to bring to your attention is an issue you are having with residents not calling the patrol cellphone. A lot of residents are calling the guard gate and I explain to them as best I can, that the guard gate is busy and they do not have time to pick up the phone, so I give them our number. We have it posted on the gates, but a lot of residents still come in the inner gate and say that it's not on the webpage, so I would appreciate it if you could put that phone number on the webpage.

Mr. Showe: Typically in the past, we wanted residents to call the guardhouse so the guards could focus on patrolling. If that's what you want, we will get it taken care of.

Mr. Solnay: The reason is if I'm on patrol and someone calls the gatehouse to try to reach me, I could be gone for an hour or two and I won't get the information. So when I go around and ticket a vehicle and tow it, then they are mad.

Mr. Showe: We will get it done. No worries.

Mr. Brown: It's on the HOA's website, not on the CDD website.

Mr. Scheerer: The HOA has all of the phone numbers on their webpage so you can refer residents to the HOA website.

Mr. Showe: We will include it on the CDD website too.

Mr. Solnay: Another item that I wanted to bring to your attention is whether it is okay to get a small apartment size refrigerator for the guards.

Mr. Scheerer: We typically don't supply a refrigerator or microwave. The only problem I have with that is the power source in there is very limited. We have two duplex receptacles in the guardhouse and are running an APC right now for the cameras, phone and anything else that we have tied into that. I would be a little concerned about where that refrigerator would plug in. I'm not saying that we can't do it. We just have to look into it because with the configuration for the cameras, everything is on the floor and there is limited space.

Mr. Showe: Maybe you can just take a look at it.

Mr. Scheerer: We will look at it and find space, but between the microwave and the refrigerator, I would be concerned with the amount of power we are using. Maybe you and I can meet and figure it out.

Mr. Solnay: Yes. I just brought it up because the guards at the gate bring food. I appreciate it. Thank you.

Mr. Soukup: Do you want everyone to call the patrol number?

Mr. Solnay: Yes sir. I prefer them to call 407-576-8556.

Mr. Showe: We will post it to the CDD website.

*Mr. Solnay left the meeting.*

#### **FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

#### **Public Comment Period**

Mr. Brown: If you have any comments, please raise your hand, provide your name and address and keep your comments to three minutes.

Larry Hurley, Keswick Court: There is a no solicitation sign at the Partin Settlement Road entrance that belongs to the HOA.

Mr. Scheerer: Correct.

Mr. Hurley: The paint is all gone, so I'm going to try to get it replaced. I just wanted to make sure that it was ours.

Mr. Scheerer: Yes.

Mr. Hurley: The one up front by the wall looks good. That's what the other one will look like. There is also a post before you get to the on Partin Settlement Road that has towing signs on it. I guess they are your towing signs. There is space to put another, "Don't Park on the Grass" sign like we did at all of the entrances. I want to make sure that everyone is okay with that.

Mr. Brown: I don't care.

Mr. Scheerer: If you start looking at one sign and then there's another sign and another sign, what signs do they not see?

Mr. Hurley: There is plenty of reading material.

Mr. Scheerer: Nobody is reading it.

Mr. Hurley: That's all I have. I'm up for re-election at the February meeting and I'm not running. I'm retiring from the HOA. I'm looking for somebody to fill that seat. I've served 11 years, six of them as President or Vice President and I need to retire. I just wanted you to be aware.

Mr. Brown: Thank you for everything you have done.

Mr. Hurley: I will never be able to completely disconnect. As a matter of fact, I need to find somebody to do the newsletter because I'm not going to do that anymore either.

Mr. Brown: You are the main person that does the National Night Out, too.

Mr. Hurley: I'm the one that organizes it, so the Board should find somebody to take that over. I have a spreadsheet of all the set up information to do the job. So if someone can follow my organizational charts, they can do the job. I will volunteer to help. I have to eventually make a clean break.

Resident (Not Identified, Eagles Landing): I have two questions. A couple of poles were knocked down by drunk drivers or people who don't know how to drive. They need to be replaced.

Mr. Scheerer: They are. Did you see the flags by the one up here? They are getting ready to put one in there and then we have the one that was just hit today. The one over here, they moved across the street. That's a better place for it.

Resident (Not Identified, Eagles Landing): I was just concerned about that.

Mr. Scheerer: They are quick to come and get them, but slow to put them back.

Resident (Not Identified, Eagles Landing): They have to because of the electricity.

Mr. Scheerer: We notified them, and they came straight out.

Resident (Not Identified, Eagles Landing): The second question is related to the two seats available in the next election. The Supervisor of Elections said that they have not received any notification from the CDD regarding those two seats.

Mr. Showe: There will be two seats; Seat 1 and Seat 5. Our office is coordinating with them. They haven't opened a qualifying period yet.

Resident (Not Identified, Eagles Landing): They said it is open, but they haven't received information from the CDD.

Mr. Showe: I will follow up with staff.

Resident (Not Identified, Eagles Landing): That's it.

Mr. Brown: The qualifying period isn't until June.

Mr. Showe: Correct.

Resident (Not Identified, Eagles Landing): No. You have to have the information to them by June. That's what they said.

Mr. Brown: You can submit information, but there is something that you have to do in June.

Mr. Showe: I think sometimes they will hold your application, but there is typically a week where they take everything, which is the official qualifying period.

Mr. Brown: They send me a notification that has the opening and closing date. It's a three-week period.

Mr. Showe: There is an official qualifying period. It varies by County. We will contact them.

**FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Approval of Minutes of the December 17, 2019 Meeting**

Mr. Brown: Does anyone have any changes? Hearing none,

On MOTION by Ms. Kirk seconded by Mr. Thilburg with all in favor the minutes of the December 17, 2019 meeting were approved, as presented.

**SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Consideration of Second Amendment with Sharks & Minnows Swim School**

Mr. Showe: This is a continuation of the current contract that we started with the Sharks & Minnows Swim School in 2018, for 2020. Their license will be from April 1 to September 30. As usual, they provide the 10 \$50 off coupons for residents per session. So it's the same terms. They are not having any complaints, so I think if it's good for the community it's probably good to renew it. So it would be our recommendation to approve it.

On MOTION by Mr. Soukup seconded by Mr. Thilburg with all in favor the Second Amendment with Sharks & Minnows Swim School, was approved.

**SEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Discussion of Street Tree Trimming**

Mr. Showe: This is just a continuation of the discussion we had at the last meeting, which may tie into whatever you decide to do with the roadway work. We wanted to bring it back to the Board for any further discussion.

Mr. Brown: We didn't talk about it much last time. Should we move the proposal for the roadway work under the Engineer's Report and discuss both at the same time?

Mr. Showe: Absolutely. I think they are tied together. If you want to phase the tree work with the roadway work, I think that's appropriate.

Mr. Scheerer: If you don't, then you can just select the neighborhoods you want, and we can total it up and say how much it is going to cost. Because if you look at Glen Eagles, Somerset, Oak View, Parkland Square and Eagles Landing, you are looking at about \$15,000 in tree work, which is not a lot.

Mr. Hindle: Would you like for me to give my report?

Mr. Brown: Yes.

- **Engineer - Consideration of Proposal for Roadway Work** *(Item 8B1)*

Mr. Hindle: I talked to Camcor, and the Thornbury pipe repair will be done next week, so you can start this project. The construction plans for the repaving of the pods is 90% completed. We are just waiting for some more survey work for some of the curb replacement areas. Mark has been out here multiple times this month checking curbs to see if it's holding water. He added in a few spots of curb that need to be replaced and we are looking for more surveying to see how it's graded. He noticed when he was out here that some of the places holding water was not due to the curb, but due to debris. We talked about street sweeping, but Mark and I were talking about having REW out here walking along the roads and if there was still a pile of leaves or grass, they could shovel it out of the curb.

Mr. Scheerer: They don't have a lot of work in the actual neighborhoods. Somerset has an easement and there is a homeowner that's probably the worst offender for not edging this curb, but in all fairness to Somerset, it also has the most Sycamore trees. Right now those leaves are dropping like crazy. I can ask REW, but it is not part of their contract if they are not doing the maintenance to go into somebody's yard or in the street to remove debris.

Mr. Hindle: They could if they trimmed the trees.

Mr. Scheerer: Well if the Board chooses to trim the trees then a lot of that problem minimizes, but until that point, I don't disagree with what Cameron is saying. I know Mark has called me a couple of times about some additional curb work, but it was more related to the homeowner than to what we were doing.

Mr. Hindle: Some of that you probably don't notice it, but that's the main reason the curbs were holding water.

Mr. Scheerer: Once we get the trees trimmed, a street sweeper can come through and actually get under the trees. We will get to the edge of the curb and hopefully continue to clean,

but like I said, Somerset has a lot of Sycamore trees. There's one house in particular, the guy that has all of the Halloween decorations that probably has one of the worst yards between sidewalk and curb that I have ever seen.

Mr. Brown: In front of my house, I occasionally have to go out there with a shovel because I get sand in the gutter. I don't know where that's coming from. I don't know if it's coming from underneath the sidewalk.

Mr. Hindle: It's probably just debris on the road that washes into the curb and settles. It's a low point.

Mr. Brown: That could be because at the end of the cul-de-sac, the water will run back around the cul-de-sac.

Mr. Hindle: Part of it is due to the curb because the road was built so long ago that the roads and curbs were designed at a minimum slope that the county has now raised that minimum so it's below the current standards. The reason is that tree roots push it up or if they were not perfect when they were building the roads and curb, it would get too flat, if the water was not moving fast enough, that sand and debris will settle.

Ms. Kirk: Could the HOA put on their website, "Please when you do your yards, clean the curbs?"

Mr. Showe: I think they do. The challenge is getting compliance.

Mr. Hurley: We can put an article in the newspaper if someone writes it.

Mr. Hindle: Obviously there's not a lot that can be done. There is one set of curb that is holding a lot of water. Looking at the grades, to replace that curb to get better flow in Somerset, in order to get enough depth on it and take enough slope to get the water to flow, the curb would have to go deeper. The only way to do that is if the aprons, a little section of driveway between the curb and the sidewalk, were removed and redone to drop the curb down. You honestly don't need to make a decision now, but that would be part of the decision when we are doing our construction plans about what type of curbing to take out. Mark estimates \$1,000 per apron to take it out and put it back in at the right slope. The other option is to put in a Miami curb. If we were to not do the aprons, the curb would be very shallow. So there would be less volume of water that the curb could hold and with heavy rains, it could spread into the road. The options are to leave it as is, which holds water, replace it correctly, but then you would have to replace five driveway aprons, or we could try to leave the aprons and just do the curb and see if that works.

Mr. Brown: Is it holding water behind that because it's too high?

Mr. Hindle: The slope was so flat and there is a section that raised up so the water can't flow. It's just being held back until it raises high enough to get over that elevation. It's not a huge issue, but while we are out here looking at it, if we are going to be repaving and fixing the curb, it's an option.

Mr. Brown: I just ask because when you said it wasn't flowing, the option to fix was to lower it.

Mr. Hindle: You have to lower the center of the curb so we can get flow.

Mr. Brown: It's holding water back.

Mr. Hindle: So the three options are to leave it, replace the aprons or try to make it work with a new curb.

Mr. Thilburg: Is that the only one?

Mr. Hindle: So far. Like I said, Mark was out here looking at the areas of curb. He marked a few areas and our survey crew, throughout the week, has been coming in and surveying those areas. At the southern end, we are okay. We just had some debris. So we will find out more in the next week or so, once we get all of our surveying work done. Maybe that's something we can send an email about when we finish or during the next meeting.

Mr. Showe: They still have a proposal in here for the phases, which would be Parkland Square, Somerset, Eagles Landing and Windsor Park. They put together a time and materials budget, both for the surveying and for the consulting work that goes along with the roadway work. It's not only coordinating the front end of the project, but also the construction work. So that's part of your agenda package. It's a total of approximately \$49,000, but again, that's a not-to-exceed amount. We would use the Roadway Fund for that work. So if the Board is amenable, it's prudent to go ahead and approve that contract so they can do everything on the front end, and we will hopefully be able to bring you back some proposals, have the Board select one so we can get that work completed. If you want, we can look at tying that roadway work into doing the trees at the same time for those pods and more if the Board chooses.

Mr. Brown: That's what we have done in the past; doing the work at the same time, if the Board is okay with that. If we went with a three-year rotation on the trees where every three years they were done, how many pods would that be in a year?



Mr. Showe: The total is \$73,000 to \$75,000 a month. I think you would be better because Westmoreland takes a chunk of that money by itself.

Mr. Hindle: We can get prices.

Mr. Showe: I think if you spent \$25,000 a year, you can chip away at it that way.

Mr. Hindle: So if one has six or seven areas, we could do two or three.

Mr. Showe: Right. So that would be an option. Every three years, you could put aside \$25,000 a year and just do so many.

Mr. Thilburg: We are doing this anyway when we pave.

Mr. Showe: Correct.

Mr. Scheerer: Even if we are not paving next year and you want to still move forward with a tree trimming, like Jason said, we could divvy up the money into a third and figure out what we need to allocate. Clearly, we have money from the Roadway Fund that would cover this. Once it's all done, whether we are paving or not, we could recirculate, but we are going to have some notification issues. We want to make sure the residents know what's happening before the guys start coming and whacking trees.

Mr. Mehrlich: Is that something we can vote on now?

Mr. Showe: If you let them do that work, I think we can just bring it back. These dollar amounts require a competitive bidding process, so it's going to take a little while.

Mr. Hindle: We have a schedule. We have February 3<sup>rd</sup>, which I believe is a Monday or Tuesday, to publish an advertisement before the plans will be picked up. That's why I told Mark that February 3<sup>rd</sup> may have to get pushed back a day or two while we wait for the survey for the curb work, so we can add that curb work into our construction plans. February 26<sup>th</sup> was a pre-proposal meeting and bids are due on March 12<sup>th</sup>. On March 31<sup>st</sup>, you would be able to go out for bids. April 30<sup>th</sup> was for contracts to be signed, starting in May and finishing by July.

Mr. Showe: I think the March meeting, would be the time where Alan and I can try to figure out how much of that \$25,000, if that's the number you want to look at, we can fit the trees in and tie into what they are doing. At the March meeting, we can present it all at once.

Mr. Brown: We will hopefully know by then whether KUA will actually do anything on their lights. I called in a light that was out in a tree. We will find out whether KUA will maintain their easement or not. I think it's their responsibility when the light is out for them to trim the tree.

Mr. Scheerer: I agree.

Mr. Brown: They do it everywhere else. So we will see.

Mr. Showe: If the Board agrees, we need a motion to approve the Hanson, Walter Agreement.

On MOTION by Mr. Thilburg seconded by Mr. Soukup with all in favor the proposal from Hanson, Walter & Associates for surveying and consulting work in Parkland Square, Somerset, Eagles Landing and Windsor Park was approved.

## **EIGHTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

### **Staff Reports**

#### **A. Attorney**

Mr. Brown: There is no attorney tonight.

#### **B. Engineer**

##### **1. Consideration of Proposal for Roadway Work**

This item was discussed previously.

#### **C. District Manager's Report**

##### **1. Approval of Check Register**

Mr. Showe: In the General Fund, we have Checks 6093 through 6115 in the amount of \$90,949 and December payroll in the amount of \$718.80, for a total amount of \$91,667.80. Alan and I can answer any questions the Board might have on those invoices.

On MOTION by Mr. Soukup seconded by Mr. Mehrlich with all in favor the Check Register for December 11, 2019 to January 10, 2020 totaling \$91,667.80 was approved.

##### **2. Balance Sheet and Income Statement**

Mr. Showe: No action is required by the Board. All account lines are falling in well. We have a positive variance for the year so far and we will keep an eye on that as we trend through the year. We are at 89% collected on your assessments so we are in great shape. We shouldn't have any issues.

##### **3. Presentation of OCSO Reports**

Mr. Showe: We also provided the Osceola County Sheriff's Reports for the off-duty patrols.

#### **4. Field Manager's Report**

Mr. Scheerer: The Amenity Center is in good shape. The fitness equipment was serviced by Fitness Showcase. We had a couple of problems with a belt and a pulley. Those were corrected. The pool is in good shape. We did remove a broken table from the pool deck and will get that replaced as quickly as possible. At the last meeting, security reported, and I also elaborated that the phone at the E. Lakeshore Boulevard gate not working. I saw today that there was an above ground cable, so I don't know if they came out and put a temporary one in until they can bury it. As you recall, they had no communication to the demark, so they had to rerun that cable, but I saw it there today. I also received a report from security that the Partin Settlement Road resident gate was stuck in a three-quarter position. ACT came out and did a master reset. As far as I know, everything is working. The ponds are in good shape with minimal algae. REW installed new annuals. They are also cutting back the ornamental grasses. They replaced the Porter. I met her several times. She seems very enthusiastic. She seems very busy. We will keep an eye on her. John thinks that she is a going to do a good job and I have no reason to doubt her. Larry gave me a picture of a sidewalk raised on Remington Boulevard. I know they came through and grinded the sidewalks. I thought they had already begun the replacement, but we will double check. New flagpoles were installed. Mr. Thilburg reported to me that the light at E. Lakeshore Boulevard is dim. I already emailed the contractor. He will get out and double check that. We installed new lights at Harwood. We got rid of the compact fluorescents and installed LEDs. The lights at Somerset have been elevated. I noticed today that it was completed. I didn't know that at the time of this report. We will check those out. New play safe mulch was added to the playground on Friday. One company is giving me a price so at the next meeting, if necessary, I will bring it back to the Board to repair all of the uplights at the E. Lakeshore Boulevard gate that were damaged. We had some trees moved and had some old compact fluorescents. We are getting rid of all of those and switching to LEDs from just past the guardhouse to E. Lakeshore Boulevard, in both directions against the wall. That should look really good. The nets were replaced on the basketball court. The letter "N" at the Partin Settlement Road entrance was falling. The Oakview sign was

leaning. It lost its anchor. So that has been completed. They were out replacing letters. They had a couple of problems. It should be back shortly, and we will get Arden Place done too.

Mr. Mehrlich: The last minutes mentioned the lights at the gate. They are smashed all over the place.

Mr. Scheerer: Those are old compact fluorescents. Just so you know, whoever designed the installation used a 4 Inch piece of PVC with drilled holes in them. Every light out there is installed that way. There are no light posts. No support. No anything. The plan is to pull those out, install new supports and actually include directional lighting on the Palm trees and Ligustrums. We have some Ligustrums on either side of E. Lakeshore Boulevard up against the wall. Those will get lit. Anything that doesn't have plant material or a tree or anything, we are going to cap those off for the future should we want to do something later. It is taking a little while to get that all figured out. That's all I have.

Mr. Brown: Are there any other questions? Thank you.

## **NINTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

## **Supervisor's Requests**

Mr. Brown: Mr. Soukup?

Mr. Soukup: Let us know about the trees.

Mr. Brown: Ms. Kirk?

Ms. Kirk: Nothing.

Mr. Brown: Mr. Thilburg?

Mr. Thilburg: Yes. According to the Sheriff's Report, the Sheriffs have been very active. I see a lot of incidents on January 3<sup>rd</sup>. I think they are doing their job.

Mr. Soukup: I see a lot of parking tickets. I would be curious about what kind of parking tickets.

Mr. Brown: It's either parking on the sidewalk or left wheels to curb.

Mr. Scheerer: Left wheels to curb is always a good one. That is generally the only two things there.

Mr. Thilburg: I was telling Alan before the meeting that I observed Toho doing a line replacement. I observed three different locations and spent an hour at each location. The workers there were very good. They seemed to know what they were doing. The procedure at all three locations I observed was consistent. It was very good to observe that.

Mr. Brown: Hopefully they can avoid another hole in the road.

Mr. Scheerer: We still have Chadbury Way in Windsor Park. I received a call from the new HOA Manager over there and explained to her what's going on.

Mr. Hindle: I mentioned to Mark that there was a whole line of sanitary down Chadbury Way. There are probable five manholes that have a depression. They are not giant depressions. So we will keep an eye on that, but it's not a good sign.

Mr. Brown: Mr. Mehrlich?

Mr. Mehrlich: It's good to see the flagpole.

Mr. Brown: I don't have anything other than the place looks good. REW is doing a great job. I talked to Alan on Friday and today. Thanks for calling OUC and getting them out here.

Mr. Scheerer: You're welcome.

Mr. Brown: It makes a big difference when we know what happened rather than seeing tire tracks the next day.

Mr. Scheerer: Yes. We get a few of those.

**TENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Next Meeting Date – February 25, 2020**

Mr. Brown: The next meeting is on February 25, 2020.

**ELEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Adjournment**

There being no further business, Mr. Brown adjourned the meeting.

  
Secretary/Assistant Secretary

  
Chairman/Vice Chairman