

MINUTES OF MEETING  
REMINGTON  
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Remington Community Development District was held on Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. at the Remington Recreation Center, 2651 Remington Boulevard, Kissimmee, Florida.

Present and constituting a quorum were:

Kenneth Soukup	Chairman
Pam Zaresk	Vice Chair
Brian (Ken) Brown	Assistant Secretary
Diego Benson-Valdes	Assistant Secretary

Also present:

Jason Showe	District Manager
Scott Clark	District Counsel
Pete Glasscock	District Engineer
Alan Scheerer	Field Manager
Michael Belz ( <i>via phone</i> )	Universal Protection Service
Valerie Scott	DSI Security Services
Rich Hunter	DSI Security Services

**FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Roll Call**

Mr. Soukup called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. and Mr. Showe called the roll. A quorum was present.

**SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Modifications to Agenda**

Mr. Showe: We do not have any modifications.

**THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Security Report from Universal Protection Service**

Mr. Belz: Good evening everyone. From January 1 through January 25, 2021, at the Partin Settlement Road gate, there were 6,705 visitors and 5,176 residents. At the E. Lakeshore Boulevard gate, there were 814 visitors and 3,436 residents. We had 1 attempted tow, 0 tows, 0 tow letters and 8 repeat offenders.

Mr. Soukup: Okay. Are there any questions for security? Hearing none,  
*Mr. Belz left the meeting.*

**FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Public Comment Period**

Mr. Soukup: Please state your name and address and try to keep your comments to three minutes or less.

Resident (Dorothy Ogaz, Harwood): My question is regarding the tows and attempted tows. Are we going to see those enforced? Several people are parking on the street. One day it is on Harwood Circle. Owners are parked so long that we now have oil stains, not only in a driveway, but on the street, which is an environmental issue. That is one of my concerns. I noticed a pothole developing just west of the Club Villas entrance that has some standing water. We might want to check into that. What fiber optics or cables are we putting through the subdivisions? Does anyone know?

Mr. Soukup: We are not doing that. I believe that is Spectrum. It is not the CDD. That is a utility right-of-way (ROW).

Resident (Dorothy Ogaz, Harwood): I was just curious.

Mr. Showe: They typically don't give us any information.

Resident (Dorothy Ogaz, Harwood): They have cables out front on E. Lakeshore Boulevard.

Mr. Showe: I will have Alan and the engineer address the pothole. The new security company will be reinforcing the parking. We addressed some of the car issues on Harwood. They are looking at that as well.

Resident (Dorothy Ogaz, Harwood): Thank you.

Mr. Soukup: Anyone else?

Mr. Diego-Valdes: Mr. Chairman, I received a communication from a resident that they were concerned with the new company hiring the current security guards. They were concerned that they were going to still not enforce the rules. That's some of the concerns that I received. One resident called me and asked me that.

Mr. Hunter: We reinforced the rules and regulations to the security guards. If there are any issues, we will replace them. We take a closer look on who we are hiring and make sure that they do their job properly.

Mr. Diego-Valdes: Thank you.

Mr. Soukup: Are there any other comments? If not, we will close the public comment period.

**FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Approval of Minutes of the December 15, 2020 Meeting**

Mr. Showe: The December 15, 2020 meeting minutes were provided as part of your agenda package. We received some corrections and those have been made in our signature file, but we can take any other corrections or changes at this time.

Mr. Soukup: Are there any corrections? Hearing none,

On MOTION by Ms. Zaresk seconded by Mr. Brown with all in favor the Minutes of the December 15, 2020 Meeting as amended, were approved.

**SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Consideration of Security Services Agreement with DSI Security Services**

Mr. Showe: Based on the last meeting, the Board ranked DSI Security Services (DSI) as the number one ranked vendor to provide security services. We reviewed this contract and it is in line with their bid. We expect them to start on February 1<sup>st</sup>. They are here to answer any specific questions about their transition and start date. Both Alan and I have been working with them over the last month or so, trying to make sure have what they need. At this time, you can discuss the transition and we can take questions or comments about the contract.

Mr. Diego-Valdes: The question that I have is not regarding the contract. It's regarding the communication for our residents. Are they still going to have the same telephone numbers? It's important to communicate.

Mr. Showe: The plan at this point is to renew the cellphone number for the guardhouses as well as the website. Residents won't be able to use that cellphone to report in anymore. The original procedure was that they are supposed to be calling the guardhouse and leaving a message. So, we kind of want to get them back onto that plan. We know that there is going to be some transition so we are probably going to be a little more lenient if somebody says, "Hey, I tested that number. Here is proof that I texted it." We might have some issues, but we will work on them for a little bit until we get people trained.

Mr. Diego-Valdes: So, the guardhouses are going to be the same. The reason for that is the Remington newsletter. I want to update that. So, send me the information.

Mr. Showe: The guardhouses have the same number. The cellphone they use is the property of the security company. So, the cellphone will be changing. In talking with the new vendors, correct me if I'm wrong, but the roving patrol is the one that carries the cellphone around. They really want to keep that cellphone dedicated for that person, so they can get in touch with people instead of having residents call them all night. So, for as long as we can, we would like to go back to how it was originally.

Mr. Diego-Valdes: I will make sure that number is published.

Mr. Showe: I will send you a note to remind you.

Mr. Soukup: Do we have a prior line that they should be calling to leave messages on an answering machine?

Mr. Showe: Both guardhouses have an answering machine.

Mr. Soukup: So, either one is fine.

Mr. Showe: Yes. The process is that roving patrol comes in, checks the messages at one site, drives through and note any parked cars. They check the messages at the other site and cycle back and forth throughout the night. They are constantly checking messages. So, either one is fine.

Mr. Soukup: The other question I had was on the vendor list. Is that going to get transferred over?

Mr. Showe: To the best of our ability, we are going to transfer it over. We may have to let them start so we have some confidence in the way that they are enforcing it. One of the other things that they are going to bring with them that is going to be an additional charge, which Alan and I talked about, is they have a tracking system.

Mr. Diego-Valdes: That's what I was going to ask because currently the tracking system is paper.

Mr. Showe: Valerie, can you talk about that briefly?

Ms. Scott: Sure. Our guard system is a partner of ours, TrackTic. That brings a wealth of new processes to play. We can have RFID stickers posted in various places and be able to document that the officers are where they need to be. The manual report writing will go away with the implementation of the TrackTic tool. It comes with a smartphone. So, in essence, you are getting a second smartphone. There will be one dedicated to this building and one dedicated to the

roving patrol. Those incident and daily activity reports can be sent to whomever you wish. Incidents are typically in real-time. Daily activity reports are typically sent in the mornings. Weekly, you can pull them out yourselves. That is something we will need to discuss with all of the parties involved and get set up. I am Valerie Scott from Regional Sales. This is Rich Hunter, Regional Manager of Florida operations. We have an Operations Manager who is in transition. They are going to be here today. He had too many places to be at the same time. That in a nutshell, is what the tracking system is. I think information was provided in the agenda package.

Mr. Showe: It's going to be a benefit, especially to staff, because when we get a call and somebody says, "Hey, this vehicle is parked here all night," we should be able say, "That car was called in as a visitor." You can search how many times it was called in. It will give us a little more ability to have some of that information versus getting pictures of logs. I think it will help the overall community.

Mr. Diego-Valdes: I agree.

Mr. Showe: We can provide them more direction based on all of that. It increases communication so I think it's a great tool for the community.

Ms. Scott: There are other things that we can do with the phone or the tags. We can have a pad with different tags that mean different things that just stay with the phone the officer in the vehicle has. There could be certain things that we could identify. We can use that to ticket tags. They will figure that out as they figure out the processes.

Mr. Soukup: If we get a resident that is playing the car shuffle game, we try to monitor that.

Mr. Showe: For the Board's information, we did ask the current vendor for that information. What we get is, "We don't believe that they are violating the policy."

Ms. Scott: Exactly.

Mr. Showe: We can't get a whole bunch of records. We are not able to track it with this. They are calling in a visitor every single night.

Mr. Soukup: Exactly. We will see the request.

Mr. Showe: Then we can give that to Scott to help us interpret the rules.

Mr. Soukup: I think it is really going to help with the repeat offender situation.

Ms. Scott: That system is not specific to the things that you are mentioning now, but there are adaptations that can be made by the use of those RFID tags that we can create with some of that.

Mr. Soukup: That is going to be disseminated to the Board Members?

Mr. Showe: It can be. It can also be provided monthly in your agenda. There are different ways that we can look at it. I think once we see the data we get, we can make a decision.

Mr. Scheerer: We can figure out the distribution.

Mr. Showe: It is going to produce a daily report.

Mr. Soukup: I think since we represent the community, they should come back to us and tell us the positives and negatives. I think it's crucial for us to be able to see this report.

Mr. Showe: Okay. Alan and I can forward it to the Board, let you see it and then you can determine what frequency you would like to see going forward, but we can certainly provide those to you. For the Board's information, we worked with the current vendor. The contract starts on February 1<sup>st</sup> at Midnight. We are going to have Universal continue through the morning of February 1<sup>st</sup> and DSI will start in the evening of February 1<sup>st</sup>. That way we are not transitioning at Midnight.

Mr. Soukup: If there any no other questions, we need a motion to approve.

On MOTION by Mr. Brown seconded by Ms. Zaresk with all in favor the Security Services Agreement with DSI Security Services was approved.

## **SEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

### **Consideration of Data Sharing and Usage Agreement with the Osceola County Property Appraiser**

Mr. Showe: This is the Data Sharing and Usage Agreement with the Osceola County Property Appraiser. That is when they send us the file and we levy assessments on the taxes based on that file. So, it would be our recommendation to approve that agreement. There are no substantive changes. They just renew the contract annually every year.

On MOTION by Mr. Brown seconded by Mr. Diego-Valdes with all in favor the Data Sharing and Usage Agreement with the Osceola County Property Appraiser was approved.

**EIGHTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Discussion of E-Verify Requirements for Special Districts**

Mr. Clark: In last year's Legislative Session, there were several bills relating to employment, employment status, Green Card or other status that allow people to be employed. It was applied to Governments including ourselves. Basically, they are a big requirement for us. Number one, if we are going to have employees on our own, we would have to comply with it. We don't, but we are also required to require our vendors and contractors to comply. We do that by inserting a contract term. You will see that contract term in the security contract saying that they agree to comply in giving us the right. If they don't comply, they will give notice and ultimately terminate the contract. So, by adding that language, we are in compliance with the legislation. It was adopted last year and took effect on January 1<sup>st</sup>. Our response is fairly nominal.

Mr. Showe: For the Board's information, they provided us their E-Verify certificate today so they are in compliance. We will be checking that on every contract going forward. There will have to be a clause in those contracts.

Ms. Zaresk: I helped write E-Verify years ago when I worked in U.S. Customs.

**NINTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Staff Reports**

**A. Attorney**

Mr. Clark: I think this was disseminated to the Board. I wanted to let you know that we had some excitement with the security contractor. Our current vendor did not like the process of how the Board ranked and on late Christmas Eve, we received a bid protest. Staff evaluated the rules and requirements of the protest and we determined that they didn't have the right, with that type of contract, to a bid protest. Our bid process was something that we did because we elected to. It was not required by Statute for purely contractual services like security. So, I wrote them the letter that I think you received. We didn't hear anything after that, so apparently, they were satisfied with that. So, I think it has been fairly cooperative since then.

Mr. Showe: Correct. They have been cooperative on our end. We let them know the rules. We expected them to leave all of the equipment and we are going to hold their final payment.

Mr. Clark: That's all I have.

**B. Engineer**

Mr. Glasscock: I don't have anything. If the Board has any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

**C. District Manager's Report**

**1. Approval of Check Register**

Mr. Showe: Regarding the Check Register, in the General Fund, we have Checks 6382 through 6410 in the amount of \$97,622.39; Checks 32 and 33 in your Pavement Management Fund in the amount of \$23,863.13 and Checks 89 through 94 in the Capital Projects Fund in the amount of \$27,470, for a total of \$148,955.52. Alan and I can answer any questions the Board may have on those invoices.

Mr. Soukup: Are there any questions? Hearing none, we need a motion to approve.

On MOTION by Ms. Zaresk seconded by Mr. Brown with all in favor the December 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020 Check Register totaling \$148,955.52 was approved
--

**2. Balance Sheet and Income Statement**

Mr. Showe: No action is required by the Board. Through December 31<sup>st</sup>, we are outperforming the budget. You have 95% of your assessments, which is outstanding. So, we are in good shape.

**3. Presentation of OCSO Reports**

Mr. Showe: Reports from the Osceola County Sheriff's Office was provided to the Board. We are still doing off-duty patrols one or two times per week depending on their availability.

**4. Field Manager's Report**

Mr. Scheerer: The Amenity Center is in good shape. Everything is working. In the Fitness Center, we had Fitness Showcase come out and do a complete overhaul of the equipment. We got all of the aches, pains and squeaks taken care of. Everything in the Fitness Center is working well. The pool is in good shape. We had a phone line down on the emergency phone. Century Link was notified to come out and repair it. They are scheduled to be here tomorrow within their timeline of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. They will call me when they are onsite. It is not a requirement. We only had two people in the pool 20 minutes ago. The gate handles are working well. We repainted the



interior of both guardhouses. Those were cleaned up and ready to go for the transition. All of the ponds are being treated in accordance with our contract with Applied Aquatic. We had a pond at par 3 with some algae on it. They coincidentally stopped by this morning to spray the pond. They turned from green to white. So, the copper sulfate was working well. We continue to meet with REW on irrigation inspections. They re-graded the side of the basketball court that was holding water. The basketball and tennis courts are complete. I think it looks good. There are new backboards, new rims and new nets. The CDD sidewalks and common areas were pressure washed. The column in Windsor Park was repaired. The streetlight at the entrance to E. Lakeshore Boulevard was replaced. I need some follow up. I received a text message from a resident who said it is on all day and all night. It was on when I arrived here this afternoon, so I will reach back out to OUC to see if they can come. Maybe they can cover the photocell. That's all I have.

#### **TENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

#### **Supervisor's Requests**

Mr. Brown: I don't have anything other than to say that the place looks good. REW is doing a good job.

Mr. Scheerer: We had a frost out here, so you are seeing some brown spots. There is some green popping up. They are going to fertilize again and increase the water. We bumped all of the water back down due to the winter schedule, but if we get up in the 80s for a long period of time, we need to have another watering. They are doing a good job and we appreciate that.

Mr. Brown: I would like to thank Universal. We had Universal for a long time. A lot of good people worked for Universal. We had our ups and downs, but generally, I appreciate the effort that they put in here over the years.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: I know that we pressure wash the sidewalks out here, but there are common areas within the developments that need to be pressure washed. My development has a common area that goes into the lake.

Mr. Scheerer: We didn't pressure wash any of the small easements. If you want it done, I can have them come out.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: Yes.

Mr. Scheerer: We focus mainly on high traffic areas in Knightsbridge or Remington Boulevard. But if you want us to pressure wash those areas, I can bring the guys back out.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: Okay. I can only speak to the one in Eagles Landing because I'm the one that does it.

Mr. Scheerer: There are a couple of them. We have an easement by a stormwater pond. There is a small tract and sidewalk. Typically, the residents cooperate and actually do it. If it's the desire of the Board, I can definitely have my guy back out here and have it done.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: I think what happens is there are waterlogs right in that area, so it has to be done quite frequently.

Mr. Scheerer: We typically do them once a year.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: I'm just saying that I have to do that section quite frequently.

Mr. Soukup: Is the issue with standing water?

Mr. Benson-Valdes: There is quite a bit of standing water.

Mr. Scheerer: I will have Pete take a look at it to see if there is an issue with the turf. We had some issues where the turf is higher than the sidewalk.

Mr. Soukup: Ms. Zaresk?

Ms. Zaresk: I have nothing. Thank you.

Mr. Soukup: I think the basketball courts look good. They did a great job. It took some time to get done, but the drainage was right.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: I agree.

**ELEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Next Meeting Date – February 23, 2021**

Mr. Soukup: Our next meeting is scheduled for February 23, 2021.

**TWELTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Adjournment**

Mr. Soukup adjourned the meeting.

  
Secretary/Assistant Secretary

  
Chairman/Vice Chairman