

MINUTES OF MEETING  
REMINGTON  
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Remington Community Development District was held on Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. at the Remington Recreation Center, 2651 Remington Boulevard, Kissimmee, Florida.

Present and constituting a quorum were:

Kenneth Soukup	Chairman
Pam Zaresk	Vice Chair
Brian (Ken) Brown	Assistant Secretary
Tim Mehrlich ( <i>via phone</i> )	Assistant Secretary
Diego Benson-Valdes	Assistant Secretary

Also present were:

Jason Showe	District Manager
Scott Clark	District Counsel
Pete Glasscock	District Engineer
Alan Scheerer	Field Manager
William McLeod	DSI Security Services
Residents	

**FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Roll Call**

Mr. Soukup called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. and Mr. Showe called the roll. A quorum was present.

**SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Modifications to Agenda**

Mr. Showe: I have none.

**THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Security Report from DSI Security Services**

Mr. McLeod: As of April 20<sup>th</sup>, the Partin Settlement Road gate had 1,822 visitors and 6,287 residents. The E. Lakeshore Boulevard gate had 1,205 visitors and 3,409 residents. We wrote 50 incident reports; 48 were traffic or parking citations. Two maintenance requests were

made. We called the tow company for 2 tows. One tow was at 2502 Balmoral Drive. The other one, the car moved before the tow truck arrived. That was on May 12<sup>th</sup>. To date, we have written 174 traffic citations in total. We had an incident the other night when the Partin Settlement Road gate was unmanned for an indeterminate amount of time. I can't tell you. I know that the Site Supervisor was there at 10:55 p.m. to check on the officer. When she circled back at 12:20 a.m., she found the gate opened. The gatehouse had been secured and the officer that was there, left a note saying that she quit and did not want to deal with the residents anymore or being cussed at. She had a bad attitude and it was going to be a matter of time before someone set her off. So, she quit without notice and left her shirts. When Collette saw the gate unmanned, she manned the gate. So, the most that I can report, is between 10:55 p.m. and 12:20 a.m. the officer had left. In speaking with the State of Florida, all officers are licensed by the State. This is in violation of the State and is not taken lightly. We are doing our steps to have her license revoked, notably for taking off that night and she won't be able to work as a Security Officer in the State of Florida again. At 114 Westmoreland, I was provided a lot of videos from the next-door neighbor about a truck being parked. The truck was in fact called in as a guest. The problem was there was a boat attached to it. They were working on the boat the entire time.

Resident (Westmoreland Circle): That's not a guest.

Mr. Brown: Let him finish please.

Mr. McLeod: It is my belief that they are circumventing the rules of the community and you should issue your report based on that.

Mr. Clark: We talked about this issue previously. Let me read the provisions that applies: *"In the event that the District learns or believes that the resident is circumventing the intent of this rule by improperly identifying the vehicle as belonging to a guest, which is otherwise not permitted to park in the roadway, the Board of Supervisors, after providing notice and an opportunity to be heard at a public meeting, may suspend the right of the offending property owner or resident to utilize guest parking privileges for a period of time of up to a year."* So, the opinion of your vendor here is that is exactly what is happening here. So, your right to choose would be to direct me to provide a notice under this rule that *"The Board received information that led us to believe that you were circumventing the rule."* Invite them to the next meeting and let them explain why. Have security attend. This lady has something that she wanted to say about it that I would like to have on record as well.

Mr. Soukup: When we have public comments.

Mr. Clark: Since it has to do with this particular item and she has information that this vehicle is not a guest, then you should probably hear it now.

Mr. Soukup: Okay.

Mr. Clark: If that's okay.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: That's fine with me.

Mr. Clark: You were going to say something about the truck with the boat.

Resident (Westmoreland Circle): I live next door. They have lived there for almost three years and they had that same truck for almost three years. The burgundy car, they call in as a guest. The blue truck, they call in as a guest. The blue car, they call in as a guest. The green car, they call in as a guest. They all belong to them. They call these vehicles in as guests so that they can park on the street and they are not guests. They rotate them. They park some in the garage, some in the driveway, on the apron and then on the street. Then they rotate them. When they were parked on the street for too long, they park them in the garage. So, they are just rotating them in and out all of the time. It is nice when they rotate them in the evening because they pull them all out and they park on both sides of the street, so that they can re-rotate the cars. The boat was there for five days last week, from early in the afternoon until late at night. One evening, the security officer was there from 9:11 p.m. until 9:55 p.m. hanging out and checking out the boat.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: Do you need a motion from us?

Mr. Clark: A motion to direct me to provide notice to this particular resident under our rules and inviting them to attend the June meeting to be heard on the issue.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: In the interim of them coming, do we still prevent them from using guest parking or do they have to present first?

Mr. Clark: In the interim, the rules still apply, if security can determine that it's a resident car.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: The issue in the past is that security has not been able to determine, based on whatever information they had, if I am not mistaken, that has been brought up before in the past and they were not able to determine whether it was a guest vehicle or not. I am in favor of moving forward, but do we wait until they present or do we allow them to present first?

Mr. Clark: I think we allow them to present it, unless between now and then security catches them in a situation that authorizes the towing. They are free to go ahead and do that.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: Okay.

Mr. Clark: We discussed this. This particular property is doing exactly what this lady described. So, I think we send them a letter, ask them to come forward and then I will let the Board decide what to do.

Mr. Benson-Valdes MOVED to direct District Counsel to provide notice to the owner of 114 Westmoreland Circle of the violation and invite them to attend the June meeting to be heard by the Board and Ms. Zaresk seconded the motion.

Ms. Zaresk: The question I have is do we feel like we have enough that when they are here for their hearing? In other words, we know that we can't identify the car to a property.

Mr. Soukup: Right. Do we have a log to show visitor requests? Maybe we can use that as evidence.

Mr. McLeod: No. We don't have a visitor's request because it is just called in and the officer makes a note of who not to ticket.

Mr. Soukup: That's also showing proof that they are exceeding the number of times that they are requesting the visitor parking.

Mr. McLeod: Right. I did that. They haven't offered that many for us to determine. Again, unless I can see their vehicle registration, I can't determine what's there.

Mr. Soukup: You could request it.

Mr. McLeod: After the vessel incident and the manner in which they were working on it, led me to believe that it is a vessel. That give me the ability to report you that I believe that they are circumventing the rules.

Mr. Soukup: We are just trying to get as much evidence we can before we send a letter to them. So, if there is a way that can logged.

Mr. Scott: I am going to have some additional comments when I get to my report.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: Maybe the neighbor could provide additional photos.

Resident (Westmoreland Circle): I sent videos.

Mr. Showe: We have videos.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: We just need that evidence when they come.

Mr. Scott: Are you willing to come next month to speak on the issue?



Resident (Westmoreland Circle): When is the next meeting?

Mr. Showe: June 29<sup>th</sup>.

Resident (Westmoreland Circle): I should be free, but they are not very nice people. They make up stories about me. The last time they were here, they were yelling at you for 20 minutes. They said that I called security all the time. I don't call security. I just sent videos to Jason. So, I'm not calling security and saying, "*Oh you must ticket them*" and other stuff that they are saying.

Mr. Soukup: We will have a deputy at the June 29<sup>th</sup> meeting.

Mr. Showe: No, at the July meeting.

On VOICE VOTE with all in favor directing District Counsel to provide notice to the owner of 114 Westmoreland Circle of the violation and inviting them to attend the June meeting to be heard by the Board was approved.

Mr. Brown: Is there a time when we have to have them on notice?

Mr. Clark: The rule doesn't provide one. I think the Board should hear from security from anyone else who wants to talk about it and have a chance to review any video evidence that relates to that. Then make a finding. Your action would potentially be to suspend the right to any guest parking for up to a year.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: I strongly suggested that security have their evidence.

Mr. McLeod: All I can provide is when they illegally park. I think some of the evidence needs to come from the video.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: I agree.

Mr. McLeod: I think that is going to be the best.

Mr. Showe: Let your guards know that if they call in any visitors to track those specifically. What I'll do in the meantime, is if they call in a visitor, we will record the license plate and type of vehicle so we have that list specifically for that residence.

Mr. Soukup: Okay. Is everyone good with that? *There was Board consensus.*

**FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Public Comment Period**

Mr. Soukup: Please state your name and address and keep your comments as brief as possible.

Resident (Rendon Miller, Berkeley Drive): I know you guys are planning an assessment increase for tree trimming. I think it's an unfair burden for people in the community to absorb that cost because residents are supposed to be responsible for their own trees. So, trimming the trees would set a precedent that no one would ever trim their trees again, because they are always waiting for the CDD to do that for them. To some extent, we have no trees, so I don't want to take on the financial burden of that because I don't even have any trees.

Mr. Soukup: There are other items that we had an increase in expenses since the last time. That's one part of the assessment increase.

Resident (Rendon Miller, Berkeley Drive): I understand that. I'm just saying that residents are supposed to be responsible for their own trees.

Ms. Zaresk: Could I get clarification on that? My understanding was that we don't trim them unless we have to do roadwork or sidewalk repairs.

Mr. Showe: That is what we currently do. Part of what we were discussing as a Board was to include funding in the budget to do a third of them each year. So, you would trim all of the trees in that area on a three-year cycle. It's included in your budget, but obviously it is up to the Board to decide whether to proceed with that or not.

Resident (Rendon Miller, Berkeley Drive): It is up to the resident that owns that tree to trim it. It should not be the CDD's responsibility.

Ms. Zaresk: Right. I'm sorry. I forgot that it was in this Proposed Budget. No, we weren't doing that before.

Mr. Showe: We can talk about it when we get to the budget.

Mr. Soukup: Thanks Rendon. Are there any others? Hearing none, we will close the public comment period.

**FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Approval of Minutes of the April 27, 2021 Meeting**

Mr. Soukup: Are there any corrections? If not, we need a motion to approve.

On MOTION by Ms. Zaresk seconded by Mr. Brown with all in favor the Minutes of the April 27, 2021 Meeting were approved as presented.

## **SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

### **Discussion of Proposed Budget for Fiscal Year 2022**

Mr. Showe: I have hard copies if anyone wants to look at them. Essentially, this is the same budget you saw at the last meeting, with two changes. Per Board direction, we increased the per home assessment to \$900 even, which is a \$221.47 increase from the current assessment. We balanced that to capital projects. So that extra revenue went into the Capital Projects transfer, which went from the General Fund to the Capital Projects Fund. On the last page, you will see the Capital Projects Fund. Again, there is no change to the projects we have here, but what changes is the dollar value coming in and what would be projected to remain at the end of the fiscal year.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: Where is the cost regarding the tree trimming?

Mr. Showe: It is under Capital Projects on the last page. We put that in as street tree trimming. We budgeted \$25,000. I think the three-year cycle total was \$75,000. So, we did \$25,000 per year.

Resident (Not Identified): I have a question.

Mr. Showe: It's up to the Board.

Mr. Soukup: Sure.

Resident (Westmoreland Circle): It is about the street sweeping. How often do they come through?

Mr. Showe: Every two weeks.

Mr. Scheerer: Usually twice a month. Part of the challenge with the street sweeping is they can't underneath all of the trees. Sometimes they don't get to the edge and go right down the middle.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: So, if we removed the tree trimming and make it the responsibility of the homeowner, how do we hold them accountable?

Mr. Showe: The HOA would have to hold them accountable because it is in their Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&Rs) that, that is their responsibility.

Mr. Soukup: The same as the other trees.

Ms. Zaresk: Let me ask a question about that. We are talking about the tree trimming up and down Remington Boulevard. Right?

Mr. Scheerer: No, within the neighborhoods. If the Board recalls, last year, we brought back several proposals from Enviro Tree and REW to provide tree trimming services because it was a request, so we did. The amount was very high. It came up again this year and we took a third of that and put it in the budget since we just did a third of it with the Phase 2 communities, Oakview and Windsor Park.

Mr. Mehrlich: It is my understanding that the tree trimming is already in the budget.

Mr. Soukup: It is on a quicker cycle.

Mr. Showe: That is our common area.

Mr. Scheerer: That's Remington Boulevard and Knightsbridge.

Mr. Brown: We only do it before its paved. So, it would be another 10 years.

Mr. Scheerer: Correct. If we don't pave for 10 more years, the trees are not going to get trimmed for 10 years.

Mr. Brown: So, there are other places. Celebration does it.

Mr. Mehrlich: If they are trimmed at a certain level, they are fine.

Mr. Soukup: Yes, but we are saying to trim all of the trees on a three-year cycle. We are not re-doing the roads on a three-year cycle.

Mr. Mehrlich: Once the trees are trimmed, they are not necessarily are going to need to be trimmed, once they get above the 8-foot height. Residents are not taking care of the trees.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: The point that was brought up by a resident was that their subdivision has no trees so why should they incur the cost?

Mr. Mehrlich: It was straight across the entire community.

Ms. Zaresk: I guess the other question I have is one of the comments that you just made was part of the problem with street sweepers not being able to get through.

Mr. Mehrlich: I don't swim in the swimming pool either. I don't play tennis. I don't play softball. Why do we have to have those amenities?

Mr. Brown: Celebration sicked Code Enforcement on them. Trucks were having trouble getting under those trees. The CDD eventually took that up and had to trim because of that.

Resident (Larry Hurley, Keswick Court): If the CDD needs the HOA to go after people with trees, then that is what we will do.

Ms. Zaresk: But you have several HOAs. That's the problem. The CDD has all of it.

Resident (Larry Hurley, Keswick Court): The Master Association is 1,400 out of 1,700. That is a pretty big percentage. It would be nice if everyone had some kind of meeting together. I have never spoken to any other HOAs. We have a new Management Company that is here full-time. So, if we need her to hire someone to trim the trees in certain months. Then that is what we should do.

Mr. Soukup: What the total percentage of this budget come out per house?

Mr. Scheerer: About \$13 per house for street sweeping. You would take the \$1,800 and divide it by the \$25,000 cost, which equates to \$13 or \$14 per home.

Ms. Zaresk: Which includes Club Villas. We have to trim our own trees, but we are going to get that increase too.

Mr. Scheerer: Yes. Even though you are not getting the benefit, you are going to get the increase.

Ms. Zaresk: Exactly.

Mr. Soukup: One thing that I think this can help the community is the lighting at night. In a lot of places, these trees are overgrown over the lights and the streetlighting is horrible. So, I think it's a plus for us to be able to do this. Security-wise, maybe we can make the streetlights that are there look better and light the area up.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: The main roads are like that.

Mr. Soukup: We know that. That is a separate issue that we discussed and didn't want to take over because we could increase those lights and make them LED.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: That sounds insane because the trees are blocking the lights.

Mr. Scheerer: We trim those every year.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: Which is included in the budget already.

Mr. Scheerer: That is one of the items that we made sure that when we trim any trees, if we have streetlights, we should get the maximum amount.

Mr. Soukup: On these neighborhood streets, some of these haven't been trimmed for many years has completely overgrown the streetlights.

Mr. Scheerer: Not to get off topic, some of those lights are behind the sidewalk so they are not getting all the way to the road, but we have to cut the entire tree down. From an emergency vehicle standpoint and delivery standpoint, Street sweeping, which you spent a lot of every month

to have performed here. I understand the residents concern as well, but the day-to-day operation, which you have going on is a benefit. It's obviously the Board's decision.

Mr. Soukup: Are there any other comments?

Mr. Brown: I am fine with keeping the tree trimming in. I'm think we need to find it from somewhere. The reason I say this is because the last time we did this, it didn't go through, but this time we are looking at doing after coming off of a pandemic, when we have the highest unemployment rate in Florida. Osceola County if the third highest in the country. So, I agree with needing to raise assessments. I just would rather do it in a phased approach over a couple of years. Everybody's insurance is doubling. Everything is going up. It's kind of a perfect storm.

Mr. Soukup: I have a question for you on that anyway being the historian of the CDD like you are, in hindsight, would you think it would be better at the point, when you guys made that decision back then to do a gradual increase every two or three years? I know the goal was to try not to do it for another 20 years.

Mr. Brown: So, at the time, it probably ended up hurting some people. The reason I say it's from them and not now is because we did it for a specific reason. We had that Capital Improvement Plan, so we were able to say, "*Oh, here is what we are going to do with the money*" and we did. Whereas, in this case, it is an operation with no clear direction.

Mr. Soukup: There is no big-ticket item.

Mr. Brown: There's nothing that we can say, "*Here is where you are going to get the bang for your buck.*" There are still things that we are doing now, they are just going on the permit.

Ms. Zaresk: That is the reality.

Mr. Soukup: Absolutely.

Ms. Zaresk: All you are going to do is go out shopping for anything and no matter what it is with the pandemic and everything else, I know that everybody has been hurt, but the business has been hurt and they are making it up. So, I don't know.

Mr. Brown: My other question is, can we only bond for capital or can we bond to maintain capital?

Mr. Showe: I think you have to bond for capital.

Mr. Clark: Yes. There are some instances where the District is going to take a large maintenance project or restoration. We talked about failing stormwater and things like that. It is not really a bond, a bank loan type of thing where they can re-borrow and repay over typically 10

years, which is the term on those and give them a favorable rate. So, they are not really maintenance projects. They are capital replacement projects.

Mr. Brown: It seems to me that the sidewalks are at the point that we are having to repair and replace them. The only thing I'm thinking is, if you can do something similar, it's a lot cheaper for the residents typically to get a \$20 over 10 year or 20-year bond or loan payment. We get all of the money at once and then we can invest that, rather than spending \$100 every year, which is what we did when we financed the bonds.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: But we still might have to increase later on. Now we have \$25 for 20 years. In five years or three years, we might have to still increase it.

Mr. Clark: We are typically a forward-thinking Board that anticipates things that are going to happen before they happen and you start putting money away in a fund. There are some Districts that I have who promised to never raise assessments and they got themselves in the situation of having failures and it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. We will just have to go to a bank and try to borrow and spread it out. The sidewalks are not a good example of that because we fix sidewalks and they fail again because of tree roots, but if you have road problems, it will be very expensive. You are going to try to fix them and hope you will have another 15 to 20 life with the money that you borrowed. So, things like that are known.

Mr. Showe: Correct. If the Board is amenable to looking at certain solutions to bring that increase down, I think there are some ways to do it. One of the major increases is in your General Fund. We are doubling the transfer into your Pavement Management Fund from \$75,000 to \$150,000. So, you can perhaps take that to \$125,000 or maybe \$100,000. There would be some savings there, depending on what level you are comfortable with. I know in the past, \$150,000 was the benchmark that we set aside, which is why we want to show you a budget with everything and let you guys pull back as opposed to the other way.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: This was towards our reserve, just in case.

Mr. Showe: Correct. It is for future roadway work,

Mr. Benson-Valdes: So, we wouldn't have to take out a bond.

Mr. Showe: Correct. Under your Capital Projects, Alan and I were just talking. We could include the community-wide pressure washing and put that off a year. It doesn't necessarily have to be done every year. That's \$20,000. You could move some of that street tree trimming. That could be applied against your Roadway Fund. It is roadway work if that's a project that you want

to do. You could pull it out of your Capital Projects and put it in the Roadway Fund where there is funding as an alternative. One of our goals was to make this an assessment that would stay for a while so you wouldn't have to keep raising it, but your Capital Projects, based on these current projections would have \$120,000 at the end of 2022. So, you could reduce that down too, which would reduce the Transfer-In and reduce assessments. So, there are several different options. I think we would like to get a target from the Board today, at least, on where you want the assessment so we can start preparing the letters that need to go out in advance of your July meeting. We can bring back whatever you would like to see at your next meeting, but I think we can start refining it a little based on the Board's desires.

Mr. Soukup: That is good starting point, I think.

Mr. Brown: Yes.

Mr. Soukup: Maybe the pressure washing is not an all or nothing thing too. Maybe we can pressure wash all of the sidewalks and brick walls the main areas coming in so it looks nice from the road.

Mr. Scheerer: Absolutely. We can make it \$10,000. That will give us enough to do a few walls.

Mr. Soukup: Some key areas and the worst ones.

Mr. Brown: Or if there are any things that come out of this.

Ms. Zaresk: That is my biggest concern about not pressure washing the sidewalks.

Mr. Scheerer: You don't have that problem like some of the residents do.

Ms. Zaresk: I understand, but we talked about at meetings, when you are out here, there are spots that are hazardous if they are not pressure washed.

Mr. Scheerer: We have some options financially too, such as in the Repair and Maintenance (R&M) funds. We had some funds out of that. If we just take it from \$20,000 to \$10,000, instead of doing the entire community, we focus, like you said, on some of the key focal points and save a little bit for a rainy day. Obviously we can do that. However, you want to do that.

Mr. Showe: Is there any consensus on the street tree trimming? Do you want to take that out of Capital for now?

Ms. Zaresk: No. When you break it down to \$13 per house and when I look at the advantages of some better lighting and trucks getting through.



Mr. Benson-Valdes: Street sweeping.

Ms. Zaresk: I'm not unsympathetic. I'm going to be paying for it too, but in my opinion, it's such a small cost for the managers that I'm not particularly in favor of taking that out.

Mr. Brown: If people were to rent the equipment to trim the tree, they would probably pay more than \$13.

Mr. Showe: Yes. So, we can leave that in. Is there a number that you would like to have in Reserves at the end of the year? Right now, with reducing that, we are about \$130,000. We can take that down to \$75,000 or is that too tight?

Mr. Benson-Valdes: Or \$100,000.

Mr. Showe: We can do \$100,000.

Ms. Zaresk: I would be much more comfortable with \$100,000 than \$75,000.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: Reducing it from \$120,000 to \$100,000, that is less than \$13.

Mr. Showe: We can talk about the Pavement Management Fund. If you go to the General Fund under, "*Other*," we have a contingency line. We pushed that to \$25,000. It is on Page 2 of your budget. The thought behind that was in case there are future increases to your other contracts, they would absorb out of that \$25,000. If you want to this year, maybe we can drop that to \$10,000 or \$15,000 to save some money. I think there is some flexibility in there as well.

Ms. Zaresk: Do you have any sense of any overall trend of how much these things are going up?

Mr. Showe: Its incredibly difficult to tell right now because not only do we have the E-Verify System, which is costing some companies time to register, you also have the minimum wage that is going to continue to go up every single year. We don't know. I don't think we would go down.

Mr. Scheerer: I know Steve with REW and I have good relationship with John. Thank goodness. He has been really upfront. If REW can't afford to do it, they would resign, but there are some communities that they were managing where it is not profitable for them and they are struggling along with Yellowstone and some of the other vendors such as Down 2 Earth. They are trying to find manpower because of the Corona virus, coming out of the pandemic and the minimum wage and unemployment.

Mr. Soukup: You gave us enough to work with for now.

Mr. Showe: Are you comfortable dropping the contingency to \$15,000?

Mr. Benson-Valdes: It's too much.

Mr. Brown: Have we ever went that far into it?

Mr. Showe: No. I put that in there specifically as a placeholder for future year increases.

Mr. Brown: I know that we have pulled from it before, but I don't remember how much.

Mr. Showe: I can put \$15,000 in there and let you guys take a look at it at your next meeting. Do you want to leave the Pavement Management at \$150,000? I know with the cost of everything, we don't think that it's going to go down.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: Certainly not.

Mr. Scheerer: Especially Pavement Management. I think all of those goods are going to increase.

Mr. Showe: The Transfer-Out from the General Fund to the Pavement Management is on Page 2.

Mr. Brown: Have we repaved everything?

Mr. Showe: Yes.

Mr. Scheerer: That will start over again.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: How much do we need in order to make sure we have sufficient funds.

Mr. Showe: At the end of this fiscal year, we are anticipating that you have about \$445,000 in that fund. I don't know that we have a specific target for what we need for the next phase.

Mr. Glasscock: Generally, when we do a resurfacing program, you look to get about 15 to 18 years out of it. We did the first ones in 2007, I believe.

Mr. Scheerer: Something like that. It was either 2006 or 2007.

Mr. Glasscock: You should have about three to five more years.

Mr. Scheerer: But the overall cost back then compared to right now is higher. We spent a lot of money on this last phase. Half a million dollars is nothing to sneeze at when it comes to the Pavement Management Program.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: I wouldn't want to drop it because you don't want another bond.

Mr. Showe: Correct. It is a reserve that you can use for other projects if an emergency comes up. Just because we put it in a roadway fund, doesn't mean it's designed only for roadway work. It could be a source of funds. All of these capital projects could be a source of funds. Just because you approve it in the budget doesn't mean that we are going to go out and do it. It is a placeholder for infrastructure and if something comes up that is more important to the Board, we

can do that first. I'm just doing some quick math. You basically reduced about \$40,000 out now, which takes it from an increase of \$221,000 to right around \$200,000. So, you cut \$21,000 out of a potential increase.

Mr. Soukup: Per house.

Mr. Showe: Yes. We can bring that revised budget amount and that gives us something to work with.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: If we were to increase it to 3% per year, it would've been significantly more.

Mr. Showe: Correct. Every time you increase your operations and maintenance (O&M), you have to do this mailed notice process. You must have a hearing where you send out a letter to everyone.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: There are expenses there too.

Mr. Showe: Correct. It is approximately \$1 per letter to send it out or \$2,000 every time you are going to increase assessments.

Mr. Soukup: Those are the hidden fees that no one ever sees.

Mr. Showe: Correct.

Mr. Soukup: Okay. Is everyone good on that at this point?

Mr. Showe: Hearing none, we will get these changes made as quick as we can. We will circulate it to the Board before your next meeting if you have any other comments. That way, by your June meeting, we can wrap this up to make sure that we get the letters out on time.

Mr. Soukup: What is your deadline for that?

Mr. Showe: We have to send the letters out 21 days in advance of your July 27<sup>th</sup> meeting. So, we need to send them out at the beginning of July.

## **SEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

### **Staff Reports**

#### **A. Attorney**

Mr. Clark: I've been thinking about the parking rules and some of the things that we are struggling with and questions that we have. I think it would be a good time to review that rule. I would like to find a way to tighten up the guest parking area. I have some ideas that are probably logistically very difficult to do like the presentation of registration. We might be able to do that for long-term guests. If someone is going to park there for six days, I don't think it's unreasonable to say, *"Plan it ahead of time and fill out some paperwork, identify the car and give a copy of the*

*registration.*” Just some things to help gain more control over it. Additionally, with the situation with the boat, I know in some rules I have done more recently, we specifically restricted street parking from boats, large commercial vehicles, double wheeled vehicles, RVs and things like that, which I think makes a lot of sense.

Mr. Soukup: Sure.

Mr. Clark: There’s no reason for anything like that to be parked on the street ever. So, I think we could tighten some things like that up. Maybe we should review the rule and see if we can make it work better. If the Board wants to do that, I will work on a draft and bring it back at the June meeting for discussion, comments, etc. When we are happy with something, we will notice it through the public hearing process.

Mr. Showe: Let’s just not do it at the same public hearing.

Mr. Clark: We will notice it at a different meeting.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: Will you send it us prior to the meeting so we can review it?

Mr. Showe: The rules?

Mr. Benson-Valdes: No. What he is going to revise.

Mr. Showe: Absolutely.

Mr. Clark: I will put it in your agenda package so you have a chance to look at it.

Ms. Zaresk: That would be great.

Mr. Brown: Was that on the policy we did before where we said if someone had a kid coming home for a month from school, they would call?

Mr. Clark: We put a special circumstance provision that allowed some flexibility for things like that.

Mr. Showe: As District Manager, I am allowed to approve exceptions. In cases where people can’t get access to their drive, if they are doing roof work or redoing their driveway and need a couple of days, I’m allowed to approve those. The only ones I approve are cases where there is some construction issue that physically disables you from using your driveway. We had people call and say, *“Hey, I’m going to have a guest at my house for two weeks.”* That’s not an exception that I can grant because you have use of your driveway.

Mr. Brown: For some reason, I thought we had put that in.

Mr. Clark: I will work on the draft and put it in the next meeting agenda.

Ms. Zaresk: I apologize for not being as diligent. Do we not have something in our rules that say you can't do maintenance on the street?

Mr. Clark: Yes, I believe we do.

Ms. Zaresk: I thought we did. If it's in there, that's great.

Mr. Showe: I'm looking at it now.

Mr. Soukup: One of my concerns on this is obviously we addressed certain problems with it. The other one that I see a lot because I walk sometimes at night walking my dogs, is you see the same houses over and over again having a party. It is like three or four times a month that they are doing it and there are 15 cars. They call them in as guests and they are only there for that one night, but then two weeks from now, they are doing the exact same thing again and again. So, anything that goes on, there are a bunch of bad apples. So, when I think of security, I think of a log of visitor requests, so we can see when it is being abused.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: We asked that at the last meeting.

Mr. Soukup: We did ask at the last meeting.

Mr. Showe: Well, the rules currently say that you can't have a social gathering more than once a week.

Mr. Soukup: Right, but there is no way for them to be able to enforce that because they don't have that knowledge, whereas, if that is turned into us, we can see it or if it's turned into a Supervisor, he can review it or we can bring it up to them that a house had a party three times last month.

Mr. Showe: I don't see any provision about maintenance in there.

Mr. Scheerer: That's typically an HOA policy.

Mr. Soukup: By addressing those two issues like that, those repeat offenders and the people that request constantly, that is going to hit the bulk of these. That's the low hanging fruit.

Mr. Clark: Okay. I will bring you some stuff to chew on.

Mr. Soukup: Thank you.

Mr. Clark: That's all I have.

## **B. Engineer**

Mr. Glasscock: I don't have anything other than the yearly inspections are coming up. That's all I have unless you have any questions.

**C. District Manager's Report****1. Approval of Check Register**

Mr. Showe: In the General Fund, we have Checks 6475 through 6497 in the amount of \$77,264.65. Alan and I can answer any questions the Board may have on those invoices.

Mr. Soukup: Are there any questions? Hearing none,

On MOTION by Mr. Benson-Valdes seconded by Mr. Brown with all in favor the April 1, 2021 through April 30, 2021 Check Register totaling \$77,264.65 was approved

**2. Balance Sheet and Income Statement**

Mr. Showe: Everything is going well. You are about \$43,000 above projections and over 100% collected on your assessments, so we are in great shape, financially.

**3. Presentation of Number of Registered Voters – 3,308**

Mr. Showe: We are required annually to announce the number of registered voters. As of April 15, 2021 there are 3,308 registered voters in the District. It doesn't change anything here because you transitioned over to the General Election process.

**4. Presentation of OCSO Reports**

Mr. Showe: Reports from the Osceola County Sheriff's Office were provided to the Board.

**5. Field Manager's Report**

Mr. Scheerer: The Amenity Center is in good shape. We had some minor damage to the wall. Some kids in the morning were goofing around and put a minor hole in the wall. They didn't do it intentionally. We had the hole fixed. I have pictures of the kids because all of the cameras are working. We replaced the ceiling fan in the Security Guard Office. The fitness equipment is in good shape. The pools are in good shape. The pool phone is working. We have the ladder, steps and handrails inspected quarterly to make sure all of the nuts and bolts are tightened. That just occurred. We also had the pavers on the pool deck inspected and re-leveled. I'm anticipating a Health Department inspection any time now. The cameras at the gates are working well. I received a couple of texts. Security touched on it earlier. At the E. Lakeshore Boulevard gate, one gate would not go up. There was a loose pulley, which they fixed. We also had a call about the resident gate on E. Lakeshore Boulevard staying up. ACT came out the next day and reset it.

I checked the switches and did everything. It's working. A nylon nut popped off of the exit gate at Partin Settlement Road. Staff put that on at their weekly visit. All of the ponds are in good shape. We continue to meet with REW each week. We installed some additional landscaping at Westmoreland. A Ligustrum tree is failing. It will be pulled out. If you haven't noticed, we have new pine straw throughout the community. We are still working on storm inlets and trash. REW should be wrapping up their storm drain boxes along the edges of the sidewalk soon. Windsor Park has a big paver area overlooking the lake, so we go through there periodically as well and check the pavers. A stop sign fell in Gleneagles and we had that reset. I'm not sure how this one happened and you probably didn't notice it, but somebody popped the wall at Somerset Place Drive.

Mr. Soukup: I noticed it.

Mr. Scheerer: I don't have any idea how it happened.

Resident (Not Identified): Some kids took a big bush down to get to it.

Mr. Scheerer: We cut the bush down. We are reaching out to Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) and the Sheriff's Office to see if a report has been filed. So far I don't have any information on that. We will continue to follow up. In the interim, we hired the same vendor that did the column that went down over in Windsor Park. They came out and relocated some of the brick out of the way because the resident back there was concerned about his kids playing back there. That's all I have.

Mr. Brown: When is school out?

Mr. Soukup: On Friday.

Mr. Brown: I noticed that the sprinklers were running while the kids were going to school. We usually try to keep them from getting too wet.

Mr. Scheerer: We tried.

Mr. Brown: I thought maybe they just got the times and the date wrong.

Mr. Scheerer: No. A lot of times when you see that, the irrigation guys were outside a couple of days a week. Usually, the Partin Settlement Road side tends to run over. We try to get through all of our zones. We have a lot of zones here as you can imagine. That is usually the last one along Partin Settlement Road itself. Somerset is usually the last few places to run. The irrigation guys are here a couple of days per week doing test cycles on everything. I'm kind of glad you brought that up. We talked earlier that we are two days a week on our watering schedule.

We are not exceeding the water restrictions that were set forth by Toho. I know that you are used to seeing things looking green out here. I'm not concerned. Maybe we will get the 50% change of rain that Jason says we are getting on Sunday. Everything is good and as long as we are doing irrigation inspections a couple days a week, we are going to be fine, but we are in a drought as you all know. We have not been told to cut back water by Toho. That's all I have.

Ms. Zaresk: Is there any change in terms of this facility as far as the COVID restrictions?

Mr. Scheerer: Everybody can use it.

Mr. Showe: That was actually something we were going to bring up. Most of our Districts are peeling back their guidelines at most of their facilities. Your only restrictions right now are groups of 10 at the pool and five at the Fitness Center. You are allowed 10 people on the athletic fields. You don't have the capacity here, but we do require if someone rents the facility, there is an additional \$50 fee and a waiver to sign. You can change some of those. You can go back to normal operations if you choose. I think Scott may have some input.

Mr. Clark: In my opinion, when the Governor signed his Executive Order the first of May, those restrictions all ceased to exist.

Ms. Zaresk: So, to get right down to it, if the HOA decides that they would like to come back indoors to have their meeting, it's a go?

Mr. Showe: Yes.

Mr. Clark: I do not think we can use a restriction on occupancy based on COVID. Whatever restrictions we have will be permanent. Some of the cleaning is going to be a permanent part. There may be requirements when people have activities.

Mr. Showe: Are you still comfortable if we still do the extra \$50 fee for cleaning and waiver if they went the facility?

Mr. Soukup: Yes.

Mr. Showe: I think those should become permanent.

Ms. Zaresk: Would those apply?

Mr. Showe: We don't make you guys pay to rent the facility. We consider that to be a community event, so we will just handle that.

Mr. Soukup: It would be a private party?

Mr. Showe: Right, like birthday parties.

Mr. Scheerer: And baby showers.



Ms. Zaresk: The entire community is fascinated.

**EIGHTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Supervisor's Requests**

Mr. Soukup: Mr. Brown, do you have any questions?

Mr. Brown: No. The place looks good as always. REW is doing a good job.

Mr. Scheerer: We are lucky to have them.

Mr. Brown: I know that Pete is going to get all of the water bottles out of the storm sewer.

Mr. Showe: Alan does that.

Mr. Soukup: Mr. Benson-Valdes?

Mr. Benson-Valdes: I noticed that there are a lot of advertising signs. I removed them.

Mr. Scheerer: So, have I. I instructed the porter that during the day, those signs would be removed. The only ones we don't remove is something that relates to the schools and community yard sales. Open house signs, karate signs, pressure washing by Bob signs, must be removed.

Mr. Showe: He grabs them and sticks them in here in case people ask for them.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: Any Supervisor can help out in removing the signs.

Mr. Scheerer: Just let me know and I will make sure that the porter removes them.

Mr. Benson-Valdes: Thank you.

Mr. Soukup: Mr. Mehrlich, do you have anything?

Mr. Mehrlich: I apologize for not making it there in person. When I do into town, the neighborhood looks fantastic. It really stands out.

Ms. Zaresk: If you don't look at the golf course parking lot.

Mr. Soukup: That's another story.

**NINTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Next Meeting Date – June 29, 2021**

Mr. Soukup: Our next meeting is set for June 29, 2021.

**TENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Adjournment**

Mr. Soukup adjourned the meeting.

  
Secretary/Assistant Secretary

  
Chairman/Vice Chairman