

**MINUTES OF MEETING
REMINGTON
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT**

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Remington Community Development District was held on Tuesday, **June 28, 2022** at 6:00 p.m. at the Remington Recreation Center, 2651 Remington Boulevard, Kissimmee, Florida.

Present and constituting a quorum:

Kenneth Soukup	Chairman
Pam Zaresk	Vice Chair
Brian (Ken) Brown	Assistant Secretary
Tim Mehrlich (<i>via phone</i>)	Assistant Secretary
David Jaisingh	Assistant Secretary

Also present:

Jason Showe	District Manager
Scott Clark	District Counsel
Pete Glasscock (<i>via phone</i>)	HWA
Alan Scheerer	Field Manager
William McLeod	DSI Security Services
Residents	

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS

Roll Call

Mr. Soukup called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. and Mr. Showe called the roll. A quorum was present.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS

Modifications to Agenda

Mr. Showe: We have none.

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS

Security Report from DSI Security Services

Mr. Soukup: That brings us to the Security Report.

Mr. McLeod: I'm sorry that I did not make the last meeting. Since I was here, the E. Lakeshore Boulevard gate had 10,476 residents and 2,489 visitors. The Partin Settlement Road

gate had 12,468 residents and 2,313 visitors. We towed two cars, made five attempts to tow cars and issued 201 citations.

Mr. Soukup: Okay. Are there any questions on the Security Report?

Mr. Showe: We actually have an item that we want to discuss under the Security Report. A couple of months ago, the Board decided to do less patrols or less of a presence here in the Rec Center, to do more roaming patrols. We had a couple of residents concerned. I think during the summer they like to see that reversed, since there's more activity up here at the Rec Center.

Mr. Soukup: Right.

Mr. Showe: So, I want to discuss with the Board how you thought about maybe peeling back some of that roaming patrol during the day to put the presence up here, the way it used to be.

Mr. Scheerer: Yeah. There have been some complaints about people from outside of Remington. You are supposed to have your Rec Center card. Typical stuff. We're getting complaints like that. Jason and I talked about it and thought it would be a good opportunity to present that to the Board to see how you felt about it. That was at 2:00 p.m. in the afternoon to 10:00 p.m. If not, we'll just keep things the way it is.

Mr. Brown: I'm fine with it. We already have the person for it.

Mr. Soukup: Right. The problem we have is there is a lot of construction around Simmons Road. There are going to be a lot of people in the neighborhood in this area and out at the pool without having somebody here checking cards, so we don't know if they are supposed to be here or not.

Ms. Zaresk: What's that going to do in terms of the evening patrols?

Mr. McLeod: What else do you want us to cover?

Mr. Scheerer: The evening patrol was originally 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.

Ms. Zaresk: Right.

Mr. Brown: Wouldn't we just go back though to where it was staggered? Weren't we doing one day a week during the day and then the evening the other time?

Mr. Soukup: Yeah. We had daytime patrol before.

Mr. Showe: We had twice a week daytime patrols. That's the way we did before. But we had a dedicated guard here?

Mr. McLeod: From 2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Mr. Showe: 2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and we had a rover for the rest of the time.

Mr. Brown: Couldn't we just go back to that where that was staggered?

Mr. Showe: Yeah.

Mr. Soukup: For the summer.

Mr. Showe: Yeah, I think for the summer. Bill and I were talking before and the daytime patrol averages about two to three tickets per day. I think during the summer it makes a lot of sense, since there's a lot more activity up here, to have somebody here.

Mr. Soukup: I agree.

Mr. Showe: Okay. So, if you want to go back to the pre-changed schedule...

Mr. Scheerer: Do we want to do that immediately?

Mr. Showe: As quick as you can coordinate it.

Mr. McLeod: I can try to get it done by Thursday.

Mr. Showe: Perfect.

Mr. Soukup: That's fine.

Mr. McLeod: I'll adjust accordingly.

Mr. Showe: Perfect. We appreciate that. I think when school goes back in session, we can look at maybe making some more changes to it.

Mr. Soukup: Yeah. Review it at that point.

Mr. Showe: But I think with the summer, we noticed a lot more activity in here. We've got some residents that are concerned. That's all we've got.

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS

Public Comment Period

Mr. Soukup: That brings us to the public comment period. If you have a comment, please state your name and address and keep your comments brief.

Resident (Franklin Mathieu, 180 Harwood Circle): Mr. Franklin Mathieu.

Mr. Showe: Are there any comments? Are you just here observing?

Resident (Franklin Mathieu, 180 Harwood Circle): We're new residents.

Mr. Showe: Okay.

Resident (Franklin Mathieu, 180 Harwood Circle): There are a lot of things that we still don't know.

Mr. Showe: Sure.

Mr. Soukup: Sure.

Resident (Franklin Mathieu, 180 Harwood Circle): Such as access to this building. We can't even get through the gates.

Mr. Showe: I can go over some of the basics for that. In the Remington CDD, we handle all of the public and common areas here at Remington. The basic format is if it is attached to a person's home lot, that falls to the HOA. Everything that's common area, falls to the CDD. That's us. We handle this building, all of the stormwater, roads, sidewalks, all of the recreation and security. For your day passes, if you go to the website address, Remingtoncdd.com, there's a tab at the top that says, "*Policies and forms.*" If you click on that, there's a form for renters and a form for owners. Just fill out whichever form is appropriate for you, mail that into our office and they'll take care of those passes.

Mr. Soukup: There is the fitness card to get in here and also parking passes.

Resident (Franklin Mathieu, 180 Harwood Circle): Can I drop it off somewhere?

Mr. Showe: Our office is in downtown Orlando. You can drop it off, but we prefer to handle by mail. There is no charge for it. We handle it pretty quick.

Resident (Eldisa Mathieu, 180 Harwood Circle): Are you all in the neighborhood?

Mr. Scheerer: What neighborhood are you in?

Resident (Eldisa Mathieu, 180 Harwood Circle): Harwood.

Ms. Zarek: You're part of the Master HOA.

Mr. Soukup: Yeah. If you have any questions that are HOA related, it's the Remington Master HOA. Some neighborhoods have their own separate HOA.

Resident (Franklin Mathieu, 180 Harwood Circle): Okay. Thank you.

Mr. Showe: You're very welcome.

Mr. Soukup: Okay. Are there any other questions? Hearing none, we will close the public comment period at this time.

FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS

Approval of Minutes of the May 24 Meeting

Mr. Showe: The minutes are included as part of your agenda. We can take any corrections or changes or a motion to approve.

On MOTION by Ms. Zaresk seconded by Mr. Brown with all in favor the Minutes of the May 24, 2022 Meeting were approved as presented.

SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESS

Staff Reports

A. Attorney

Mr. Showe: That's all we have. We'll go to Staff Reports. District Counsel?

Mr. Clark: I just have one thing that I wanted to talk briefly about. The District Manager received a letter from an attorney in Orlando that was written on behalf of a resident at 2512 Weddington Green Court. In essence, the letter said that the resident is wheelchair bound and he was trying to access one of the mailbox units. Apparently, there was a depression or something between the mailbox and the sidewalk and he fell into it or his wheel fell into it. Fortunately, he wasn't injured, so they're not looking for an injury claim. But they were asking that some accommodation be made, probably in the form of a poured concrete slab between the sidewalk and the mailbox unit. I think he's confused about who he is writing to because he kept talking about the association.

Mr. Soukup: Right.

Mr. Clark: He said that the association obviously has a contract or had a contract in place for the mailbox units. I don't know if it's that obvious. Those things tend to be done by the developer at the beginning and then nobody thinks about them until they need to be maintained or something like this comes up. He raised the Americans with Disability Act, and of course, we take that very seriously. I took a look at it and we're required for our programs and our facilities and our services, to make accessibility accommodations to people who have disabilities. Our sidewalks are clearly within that scope. The problem here is that the sidewalk is fine. The sidewalk is not the issue and the mailbox is apparently fine, but there's a gap in getting to that. He suggested that somebody needed to put slab in that gap. My viewpoint is that it is not our obligation to do that. It would be something associated with the management of the mailbox structure. What happens with the community mailbox, is if you go to the Post Office and you want to do something with them, they say, "*No, you can't, they're ours.*" If you want them to do something with them, they say, "*No, that's your responsibility.*" All mailbox stuff has been like that. So, I'm not sure who ultimately will take responsibility for making the connection between the sidewalk and the mailbox.

Mr. Soukup: They also fix around it. So, the sidewalk between the two wouldn't really help it.

Mr. Scheerer: No, they don't.

Mr. Soukup: They don't? Really? For this individual?

Mr. Clark: The problem is...

Mr. Scheerer: This one is facing the road and there is an open storm inlet right next to it. So, it's a little challenging compared to say Harwood or Hawk's Nest.

Mr. Soukup: Sure.

Mr. Scheerer: Where you have the curve and you can actually get to it. But a lot of them face the sidewalk. The postman could pull up, open the back and put in the mail.

Mr. Soukup: It makes sense.

Mr. Scheerer: Residents can access it from the sidewalk.

Ms. Zaresk: We have the same issue. What we finally ended up doing is going to the Post Office and getting their permission to addend the slab. Then we, the HOA, put in the slab. But we had to have the Postal Service's permission because the slab that those boxes are on, is owned by them.

Mr. Showe: Correct.

Mr. Jaisingh: I'll speak on behalf of the Post Office.

Ms. Zaresk: That's right. You work for them.

Mr. Jaisingh: Any mailbox has to go through the Postal Service. There has to be authorization from the government to do that. With respect to the gentleman in a wheelchair, if there's an issue with him not being able to get to the mailbox because the mailbox opens on the roadside, he can go and ask the Post Office. That's not necessarily your responsibility. The Postal Service can authorize a mailbox that opens on the other side, on the backside of it, so he can access his mail from the back. There are two kinds. Depending on what the builders pitch to the Postal Service, is what they approve. He can definitely change that.

Mr. Scheerer: There are concerns with some of these mail kiosks. They're all on a single parcel. I looked at it and a lot of them really close. Yesterday morning when talking with Jason on this, a lot of them need to be replaced at some point. Is that at the Post Office?

Mr. Jaisingh: That's right. It's basically notifying the Postal Service.

Mr. Scheerer: Maybe we'll do a similar thing to what we did with the driveway modifications. I'll do an audit of all the mail kiosks in all of the communities and we'll have an actual living document of what they look like at the time I do it.

Mr. Clark: There's a proverb that says, "*He who meddles in a quarrel not his own, is like one who grabs a passing dog by the ears.*"

Ms. Zaresk: We should stay out of it.

Mr. Scheerer: Can you say that a little slower?

Mr. Showe: It's on the recording. It will be in the minutes.

Mr. Clark: The logic is if you see a dog that passes ahead, you grab it by the ears. I say that because a lot of things that come to us are passing dogs. There are things that we could look at and say, "*It would be nice if we do it.*" But then if you do that and you multiply it by however many there are, then you get yourself locked into, "*Well, okay now that you got us a mailbox, they want you to maintain it.*" The numbers are really huge. One of the things that the lawyer suggested was that they do something different. So, I think I'm going to write him back and thank him for his letter and indicate that the mailboxes are not something that we put there or in charge of and suggest that he go to the Postal Service.

Mr. Showe: Perfect.

Mr. Clark: So, if that sounds good, then I'll write the letter.

Mr. Brown: Would they give him a home box or will they just reconfigure the box?

Mr. Jaisingh: If he's an individual with a disability, they can make accommodations. They can deliver the mail. The mailman can deliver the mail right to his door for him.

Mr. Brown: Oh.

Mr. Jaisingh: So, he doesn't have to go to the mailbox. That will be easier for the Postal Service to do at the local office rather than them spending money to replace boxes. They're going to want the management company, whomever, if the CDD that's responsible for the boxes, to pay for that. But you have to buy one that's approved by the government. They don't pay for it. They basically approve it.

Mr. Clark: Alright. So, I'll respond to that. I want to mention one other thing. Jason got a letter from an agent, an appraiser for FDOT. They are working on the Turnpike and need some more stormwater. I guess they want to put the stormwater into the wetland that we have back there.

So, they have to go through process of doing an appraisal and probably spend \$30,000 appraising it. We'll follow that through.

Mr. Brown: Does the Turnpike still have capacity in their pond in the back because that was theirs originally, wasn't it?

Mr. Scheerer: Do you mean the borrow pit?

Mr. Brown: Yeah, the borrow pit.

Mr. Clark: I'm thinking that its same area, but it's ours. The CDD took title through it as part of the mitigation for the whole project and we have a conservation easement with the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD). It's there and that's where they want to go. So, either they have capacity left in it or they are going to have to get some water. That's all.

Mr. Soukup: Standby for further details.

Mr. Clark: Standby.

Mr. Showe: That's all we have.

Mr. Soukup: Thanks.

B. Engineer

Mr. Soukup: Pete, do you have anything?

The Transcriber could not hear the District Engineer clearly due to their attendance by speakerphone.

Mr. Glasscock: Are you talking about the Turnpike project?

Mr. Scheerer: Yeah.

Mr. Glasscock: As far as the capacity, it's all accounted for. So, if they're asking for another pond, they probably need more capacity.

Mr. Soukup: Okay. Anything else?

Mr. Glasscock: The only thing I have to report on is the bid for the speed hump. Two contractors are actually looking at. They needed some additional information on the speed hump. They couldn't believe that the slopes were that great on that slope. So, we clarified that. I probably should have something tomorrow or the next day.

Mr. Soukup: Okay.

Ms. Zaresk: So, we still don't know about the speed humps.

Mr. Soukup: Right.

Mr. Scheerer: Tomorrow or the next day.

Mr. Soukup: Got it. Is there anything else?

Mr. Glasscock: That's all I have unless anyone has any questions. I would be happy to answer them.

Mr. Showe: Are there any questions for Pete?

Ms. Zaresk: No.

Mr. Soukup: Okay. Thanks, Pete.

Ms. Zaresk: Thank you, Pete.

C. District Manager's Report

1. Approval of Check Register

Mr. Showe: In your General Fund, we have Checks #6759 through #6784 for \$81,313.33. In your Capital Projects Fund, we have Check #109 for \$1,285. The Check Register totals \$82,598.33. Alan and I can answer any questions on those invoices that follow or just have a motion to approve.

Mr. Soukup: Are there any questions?

Ms. Zaresk: No.

On MOTION by Mr. Brown seconded by Ms. Zaresk with all in favor the May 1, 2022 through May 31, 2022 Check Register in the amount of \$82,598.33 was approved

2. Balance Sheet and Income Statement

Mr. Showe: No action is required by the Board. I will note that in General Fund, we're doing far better than the projection, so we are in great shape there. We are 99% collected on assessments and we'll be fully collected before the end of the year. So, that's great.

3. Presentation of OCSO Reports

Mr. Showe: We presented to you all of the reports from Osceola County, from those off-duty patrols. Certain officers are writing a lot of tickets out here and some are not, but it's good activity.

4. Field Manager's Report

Mr. Showe: We'll have Alan go through his Field Manager's Report.

Mr. Scheerer: It's pretty redundant from the last report. The Amenity Center is in good shape. We are working on some of the walls and fixing some minor defects in the walls. The pool is in good shape. The pool phone is working. We're still having issues with the overview camera at the Partin Settlement Road gate. There's definitely a wiring issue. The contractor is working on the best way to get us a signal to the new camera. We are doing maintenance of both guardhouses. You may have noticed yesterday or the day before that the arm at the exit gate at Partin Settlement Road was off. There is a bad gate reducer. Security texted me immediately. They went ahead and removed the gate alarm, which we're appreciative of before it got hit. I approved the quote for the gate reducer today. So, hopefully, we'll get that arm tomorrow or the next day. We've had some minor issues with the E. Lakeshore Boulevard entry gate that we are still working with. There is nothing major. The ponds are in good shape. I like to see the water coming up. I met with REW. The palm trees are scheduled to be trimmed this week and next, which will include all of the small Robellini palms and all of our tall palms. The week of July 14th, all of the annuals are going in weather permitting. I can answer any questions that Mr. Ken Brown has.

Mr. Brown: I don't have any.

SEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS

Supervisor's Requests

Mr. Soukup: That brings us to the Supervisor's requests. Ms. Zaresk?

Ms. Zaresk: I have none. Thank you.

Mr. Brown: I hope everybody has a happy 4th and stay safe.

Mr. Soukup: Tim, do you have anything?

Mr. Mehrlich: No, sir.

EIGHTH ORDER OF BUSINESS

Next Meeting Date – July 26, 2022

Mr. Soukup: Our next meeting is scheduled for July 26, 2022.

Mr. Showe: That will be your adopted budget meeting. We need to make sure that we have a quorum.

June 28, 2022

Remington CDD

NINTH ORDER OF BUSINESS

Adjournment

Mr. Soukup adjourned the meeting.



Secretary/Assistant Secretary



Chairman/Vice Chairman

